The state-owned Norwegian railway infrastructure company Bane NOR has announced the prequalification for one of the main contracts on the large Drammen-Kobbervikdalen project. Bane NOR has chosen Competitive Dialogue as procurement procedure, in order to ensure early involvement from suppliers and find the best possible solutions.
The prequalification notice concerns the EPC contract for building a concrete tunnel (cut and cover) and a soil tunnel. Bane NOR wants early involvement of suppliers, and this is the reason for choosing Competitive Dialogue as procurement procedure, according to the project’s Head of Contract, Eirik Harding Hansen.
- We want to have a dialogue with potential suppliers, so that we can work together to establish a framework for the final tender documents, Harding Hansen says.
Bane NOR welcomes innovation
- We need to be innovative, and we must be able to think of new ways to do the things we do, Harding Hansen emphasizes.
- By involving the market we can discuss how we should solve our challenges and ensure innovation in our business.
The project Drammen-Kobbervikdalen includes 10 km of double-track railway between Drammen and Kobbervikdalen and between Drammen station and Gulskogen station, a 6 km long rock tunnel, as well as the concrete tunnel and soil tunnel. The latter two are in a separate contract (UDK 02), and Harding Hansen says that this is an exciting opportunity for the right supplier.
- We are confident that the task can be executed, but we believe that a dialogue with the market will help us find the smartest solutions. At the same time, we will make sure that any solutions presented in the dialogue process will not be shared with others, Harding Hansen says.
- This is a more complex installation than an ordinary rock tunnel. It is crucial that the loose deposits are well stabilized. In addition, challenging works on the «cut and cover» concrete tunnel are to be done in the same contract. We need to find a supplier who knows how to do this efficiently – and with safety as the number one priority.
Process and timeframe
Prequalification for the contract has been announced in Bane NORs competition implementation tool, as well as through TED. The Competitive Dialogue procedure means that bane NOR will enter into dialogue with suppliers to discuss solutions. The contract is expected to be signed in June 2019, construction is to start in August 2019 and be completed by March 2023. Eirik Harding Hansen is optimistic that the market will find the contract interesting.
- This is an exciting possibility for many contractors, he says.
- Suppliers from Norway and abroad have already showed an interest. We hope that many want to participate, and we are looking forward to getting started.